Sunday, November 02, 2008

More Geekiness!

Ever since I "discovered" the Archos 5 (pictured below with the battery dock), I've been completely obsessed. I've read oodles of reviews, and I've looked through all of the pages on the Archos website... heck, I even read a bit of the online manual! So, I've pretty much decided that I'm getting that darn IMT (internet media tablet) one way or another. During my readings though, I've seen a fair amount of bad things about the product, however most sites still rate it high. It seems that there are a lot of little problems that add up to devalue the IMT. It seems that some of these problems have been addressed in recent firmware updates though. However, I'm not very happy that the AC power adapter is an add-on that you need to buy separate from the player. I don't want to waste one of the three USB ports on my laptop to charge the IMT. I guess when I've saved up enough money, I'll just get the battery dock, so that I'll get a little extra battery power on the go, as well as an AC charger. I'll definitely write my own review of it on here whenever I do get it (hopefully before my flight to Florida for Christmas!)


Now onto another techie topic... One of the most used programs that I've downloaded for my computer is definitely my Google Desktop. Not only does it do an infinitely faster search for files on my computer than the one supplied by Microsoft (sorry cute lil' puppy), but it also has a great sidebar feature (same idea, but fairly different than the one found in Windows Vista). I've got a very handy clock at the top, my Google Calendar right there, where all of my scheduled events are only a roll-over away, a handy-dandy scratch pad where I can jot any notes that come to mind, or phone call messages when I don't have paper around, Web Clips from my favourite blogs (jewishatheist.blogspot.com and baconeatingatheistjew.blogspot.com being my main ones), a calculator gadget, because I'm sick of going through the start menu to get the calculator every time I want it (and it has a scientific mode... yay!), my wireless connection strength, and my battery power. I just don't know what I'd do without it (well actually I do, I'd be very sad, and inconvenienced).


I really love the Google Calendar. My only complaint is that you can't make different events different colours in one calendar, you have to make a new calendar to do that. So I've got a separate work calendar, for my work schedule (which I don't display on my sidebar calendar... it'd all be days with events!), and the automatic one I use for school and everything else. I love that you can choose to only view one calendar or another, or have them both, and how easy it is to add an event. And the repeating feature is even better than I'd hoped for. You can choose how things repeat, like every day, week, month, year, and then choose how often, like the event "pay day" repeats every 2 weeks. Another fun feature is adding pre-made calendars to your own. No need to worry about adding holidays yourself, there's national and religious calendars that you can add, among other calendars. You can choose to make your calendar public if you'd like, or make specific events public/private. You can even give permission to select Google Calendar users to layer your calendar with theirs by entering their e-mail addresses. This way friends or family members can co-ordinate events, and know each other's schedules. I suggest this to anyone who wants a calendar that they can access anywhere with an internet connection, and especially to those who use a Google Desktop sidebar (unfortunately, the Google Desktop widget is not available for Windows Vista sidebars).


One last subject... Halloween was yesterday, and even though I'm too old to go trick-or-treating, and had a midterm to write, I still dressed up. I was so excited about my costume. I decided to be Doctor Who! (the tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant, as seen above) I even wore a pair of Converse All Stars, although mine were blue, and the Doctor wears white ones.
Happy belated Halloween everyone... now prepare yourself to be bombarded with Christmas!

No comments: