Monday, September 29, 2008

Bloody Jack

The one and only topic that I want to write about today, is Bloody Jack, which is the first book in an ongoing series by L. A. Meyer... but, rather. I'd like to write about the most recent book in the series, My Bonny Light Horseman.

When browsing through the books at my local Chapters, there were many occasions where I'd see the book, Bloody Jack, and grab it to look at it more closely, but each time, I'd put it back, either not interested based on the cover (what can I say? I judge books by their covers, but using that very method, I've also come across many excellent books), or the description on the back of the book. But it seemed that every time that I went to Chapters, I picked up the darned book, so finally, I decided to give it a try; at least it wasn't $20. It was a very fortunate thing that I decided to read the book, because it's become my favourite series. I believe that I've read an awful lot of books, as I've been happily addicted to reading since the age of 8, and I read more than most of the other bookworms my age, so the Bloody Jack series had a lot of competition. There are many books that I will easily name my favourites: Saucer by Stephen Coonts, The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones, The Abhorrsen Trilogy and The Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix, and all of the Harry Potter books (#3 in particular) by J. K. Rowling coming most prominently to my mind. But when I get down to reading them, the Bloody Jack series is my particular favourite. It also far outshines the other books in the 'poor girl becomes male sailor' genre, the books being so much more than just that.

Now, I've just 30 minutes ago finished My Bonny Light Horseman, and will do a short review. I've established that these books are my favourite, and this latest book (#6) does not disappoint. There were many times while reading the book that I would burst out with a snort of laughter, or jump up and pump my arms in the air with happiness. The story is written in a way that does not give too many foreshadowing hints, which I was glad for, because I like finding out the twists in the plot at the same time as our beloved Jacky. There was enough romance and action to keep me happy, and not too much description to muddle with the plot, which reflects on Jacky, the story-teller; she gets to the point. There was one line that I rather liked, although I'm probably just reading into it a bit much, but as soon as I read it, I struck a chord with me (I've no idea why...). The line is "'Well,' I shrug, all innocent, 'we all ride our little hobbyhorses, don't we, Mr. Peel?'" (Meyer 165) (Ah my grade 12 English teacher would be proud, me having MLA ingrained in my head now.) You read that line, and interpret what you will. ^_^

I'm off to bed, my mission for the early morning complete. I do have another blog entry on the way, that I started a few days ago, I just need to finish it... whenever that happens.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love Jacky Faber, and I was so excited to read this newest book in the series! I'm glad to read you enjoyed it, too. :-)