Wednesday, July 02, 2008

People are crazy. That's all I have to say. Well, actually, not quite. I'm very happy to hear that long-time women's rights activist Dr. Morgentaler is to receive the Order of Canada. On the CBC's news post, I'm glad to see that the most recommended comments were full of praise. However, as I worked through the comments, as I expected, there were tons of negative, pro-life comment. You'd think that if a woman is mature enough to have a child, then she must also be mature enough to make the decision, and choose to have the child. People on the site talked about a woman's responsibility to control herself, but condoms break, and the pill isn't 100% effective; you could be completely responsible, and still end up pregnant. And then there's also rape victims. One commenter said that abortion was a torture device, devised completely by men, so they could rape and have no consequences. This made me laugh and gag at the same time. I don't even want to know how the commenter got so deluded. Would it not be torture to have to carry a reminder of a rape for nine months? And what if the victim were to keep the child once it was born (because if they put it up for adoption the rapist still has no such consequences)? Abortion has been a great help for thousands of women. It will be a very sad day if the pro-lifer's get their wish, and abortion is again made illegal (in Canada that is).

Another reason I say people are crazy... I was watching a video about the importance of separation of church and state, and out of curiosity, I read a few of the comments. Big mistake. Oh the internet, where the idiots roam free.... this is what one commenter had to say (it's a good laugh ;] ):
I love how secularist always say stop pushing the religion on everyone. But why is it always the secularist trying to ban my guns, teach my kids about ass fucking, give 12 year olds rubbers, trying to lower sentences on child fuckers, control the media, push their propaganda in every movie, ban home schooling, ban talk radio, raise taxes, etc.. If most secularist were libertarians, I would listen. But they are not. I am not for religious theocracy. But I am not for secular dictatorship either.


Wow. Let me pick 3 particularly funny ones that I might be able to respond to without laughing too much...
1) "it always the secularist trying to ban my guns" Hahahahaha! I don't really get this one. There is no place in the bible that has any mention of guns... there were no such things! Whether you want to ban guns or not has nothing to do with religion (however they can easily be tied together by intelligence, but that's for another time).
2)"teach my kids about ass fucking" Again, wow. Just because a true separation of church and state would mean equal rights for homosexuals, does not mean this! It's just funny someone would think this....
3)"ban talk radio" This has nothing to do with the separation of church and state unless the radio show is government funded and has to do with a particular religion.

Anyway, I think I'm done my rant for the moment. On to some entertainment.

Right now I'm reading "On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God" by Louise Rennison. It's the second in the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. I adore this series! It's so cute, and light and fun. I've been saving this one and the 3rd in the series for my upcoming vacation in 2 days, because to me, they're the perfect vacation books. Georgia's sister Libby is hilarious, and I particularly enjoyed Georgia's comment about her mother, "...she just tutted and adjusted her bra like a Russian roulette player. (Or do I mean disco thrower?)" The idea that this instilled in me cracked me up.

On the musical front, I just got MGMT's (pronounced management) new CD, Oracular Spectacular. It's such a neat, different sound. It really sets them apart. My favourite songs are Electric Feel, Kids, and The Youth. Electric Feel is the perfect dancing song, and whenever I hear it I get the urge to get up and jump around. Another good song to note is "Say" by Low Level Flight. I like it even better than their song "Change for Me" (which is similar to Say).

I've also just got Guitar Hero: On Tour, because Nintendo DS is the only platform that I have that I can get Guitar Hero for. It's so addicting (but also kinda painful for my hand). It introduced me to Bloc Party's song Helicopter (is it weird that whenever I write out "Bloc Party", I think of Bloc Quebecois?).

Anyway, I really should be off to bed. Next time I hope to write about some of the many books I've read since (and including,) DragonLight.
(Maybe I can begin ending my procrastination... well after my vacation that is ;] )

Oh, and Happy Canada Day! =D

No comments: